TimeTrex is a cloud-based time and attendance, payroll, and HR software with four plans, one of which is free. That’d be TimeTrex’s Community Edition, and it’s free because it’s open source. In other words, the source code created to run the program is available for anyone who cares to look at it, tweak it, and host their own versions of the software.
Developers in 50 countries volunteer their time and expertise to keep TimeTrex Community Edition up and running. Since they work for free, you can access these payroll features for free too:
- Paycheck calculations, including taxes, wage garnishments, and other deductions
- Direct deposit and paper checks
- Easy-to-generate tax forms, including forms W-2, W-3, 940, 941, and 1099
- Employee access to electronic pay stubs
- Integration with other payroll software, including QuickBooks, Paychex, ADP, and SurePayroll
As its name suggests, TimeTrex offers time-tracking software, which is also available for free on the Community Edition. But employees can clock in only online, and they can’t use the mobile app that comes with TimeTrex’s paid plans. Still, the time and attendance tracking syncs automatically with your payroll software, which makes paycheck calculation a breeze.
Like the other providers on this list (Payroll4Free included, though to a lesser extent than the others), TimeTrex’s interface is pretty simplistic. You won’t be getting anything as jazzy or easy on the eyes as, say, QuickBooks, Wave, or Gusto. But if you’re okay sticking with a basic payroll software solution that lacks frills and tax assistance, TimeTrex can help you out.