Getting a balance between length and content can be a fine line to tread. Post length could be the difference between a potential customer engaging with your brand and scrolling past. That’s why it’s so important to know what works well on each of your chosen social media platforms.
It’s harder to keep on top of social post length than it might seem. Optimum post lengths for major social media platforms can shift with updates to layout and post format, especially on mobile.
Generally speaking, engagement decreases the longer your post gets. So, keep it short, keep it snappy, and make every character count. Use these guidelines to plan out your posts across different platforms:
- Facebook: 25–55 characters
- LinkedIn (InMail): 200 characters
- Twitter: 71–100 characters
- Instagram: 140–150 characters
- Pinterest: 200 characters for the description, image size 735px by 1102px
- Youtube: 3 minutes of video