7 Best Workers Compensation Insurance Companies for Small Businesses
Safeguard your business with our top 7 picks for best workers’ compensation insurance companies.
Best Overall5% discount when bundled with general liabilityNetwork of over 500,000 US healthcare providers
Best Small Biz FocusTransparent pricingBundling discounts available
Highest Rated5 star Consumer Affairs rating24/7 customer support
Most Well-KnownLargest providerFlexible payment options
Most Estabilished100+ years of experienceClaims specialists provided to each business
Looking to protect your employees’ safety and protect your business from financial and legal risk? You’ll need workers’ comp for that. Keep your workplace safe and covered with a policy that includes the coverage you need at the right price. Here are our picks for the best workers’ compensation providers for small businesses.
The Hartford – Best Overall
More than one in twenty workers comp plan premiums in the United States are written by Hartford.1 The company offers discounts for bundling workers comp with other small-business insurance products and has no minimum employee requirements. It also provides:
- Monthly or yearly payment options
- Network of over 500,000 US healthcare providers
- 5% discount when bundled with general liability
Hiscox – Small business only focus
Hiscox’s main selling points for business owners to consider include:
- Small-business only focus2
- Monthly payment option with no added fees
- Up to 5% rate discount for bundling business policies
Find the right workers compensation insurance for your business
AmVenture – Highest rated
We think your business and your employees will be well served with a policy from AmVenture if the following qualities are important to you and your business:
- Focus on small- to medium-sized businesses
- Live agent video chat app
- 5 out of 5 star service rating from Consumer Affairs3
Travelers – Most well-known
Other advantages include:
- Biggest property and casualty market share in the United States
- 500-plus in-house nurses and medical professionals
- Pay-as-you-owe options and payroll integration
Zurich – Most established
This Swiss-based international carrier has more than a century of insurance experience. Zurich business insurance includes access to risk management services that help you keep your employees safe and your premiums low.
biBERK – Nationally available
A.M. Best Company gives biBERK parent company, Berkshire Hathaway, an A++ (Superior) rating—the highest financial strength rating of any carrier on this list.4 You can be sure a company this strong will make smart decisions when managing your risk and your claims.
- A+ + (Superior) A.M. Best Company financial strength rating
- Available in all states where private insurers compete
- Loss control, safety training, and fraud identification
Chubb – Best program benefits
Chubb workers comp insurance includes two impressive programs to help your business and your employees: The return-to-work program works to get injured employees back on the job quickly, while the pharmacy benefit management program helps keep drug costs low.
- Special investigations unit for fraud detection
- Medical and pharmacy benefit management program
- Return-to-work program for quick employee recovery
Workers compensation insurance FAQs
Why is it important to compare workers comp insurance?
Ensuring that your employees and your business are protected is incredibly important. So there’s no reason to let your workers compensation insurance become an afterthought. Your business changes over time—like adding more employees or new roles—and your workplace risks may change, too.
Changes to your business may lead to rate increases, so you should review your options and make sure you’re getting the right coverage and the right price. Review your account regularly for any changes to your business that might affect the cost and coverage of worker’s compensation.
Why is workers comp so important for small businesses?
Each year, about 2.9 million nonfatal injuries or illnesses occur in privately owned American workplaces.5 These events affect the lives of millions of families as well as employers. Workers compensation insurance (sometimes called “workman’s comp”) is mandatory in most states. It protects your employees while they’re on the clock, protects your business from legal exposure, and helps to get your employees healthy and back on the job more quickly.
What do I need to know about workers compensation insurance?
You probably know you need workers compensation insurance, but you might be wondering how you can lower your rates and choose the best policies. Here are some things to watch out for:
- Rates tend to be fairly similar across companies; the type of work you do and the size of your payroll are the biggest factors in determining rates.
- Many of the best companies help you manage your risk and offer lower rates for implementing safety and prevention programs.
- Because workers compensation insurance is tied so closely to your payroll, why not integrate the systems? Some carriers partner with payroll companies to save you time and hassle.
- Want to lower your rates fast? Ask your carrier if you can raise your deductibles. You’ll take on more risk, but pay less in the short term.
- Look for companies that contract with doctor and hospital provider networks. Managing care this way brings cost savings.
- Are you part of any business associations like manufacturing or builders groups? You might be eligible for special rates or discounts.
Our Approach: How We Picked the Best
We looked at 30 of the biggest and most promising small-business insurance carriers and spent over 60 hours researching the details of their workers comp policies. The companies that made it to the top of our list had the best combination of coverage options, competitive rates, and full-service features. You can bet that our top picks will give you and your business the protection you need at reasonable prices and with excellent service.
1 National Association of Insurance Commissioners, “Property and Casualty Insurance Industry: 2016 Top 25 Groups and Companies by Countrywide Premium”
2 Hiscox Inc., “Hiscox USA Launches Small Business Resource Center”
3 Consumer Affairs, “AmVenture”
4 Berkshire Hathaway, “Financial Security and Decades of Experience”
5 Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Employer-Reported Workplace Injuries And Illnesses – 2016”