7 Best Workers Compensation Insurance Companies for Small Businesses
Safeguard your business with our top seven picks for best workers compensation insurance companies.
Best Overall5% discount when bundled with general liabilityNetwork of over 500,000 US healthcare providers
Best Small Biz FocusTransparent pricingBundling discounts available
Highest Rated5 star Consumer Affairs rating24/7 customer support
Most Well-KnownLargest providerFlexible payment options
Most Estabilished100*& years of experienceClaims specialists provided to each business
Looking to keep your employees safe while also protecting your business from financial and legal risk? You’ll need workers comp for that. Keep your workplace safe and covered with a policy that includes the coverage you need at the right price. Here are our picks for the best workers compensation providers for small businesses.
The Hartford: Best overall
The Hartford offers discounts for bundling workers comp with other small-business insurance products and has no minimum employee requirements. It also provides:
- Monthly or yearly payment options
- Network of over 500,000 US health care providers
- 5% discount when bundled with general liability
Hiscox: Best small-business-only focus
Hiscox was the first insurance company in the United States to offer online, easy-to-access workers compensation insurance specifically for small businesses. Hiscox’s main selling points for business owners to consider include:
- Small-business only-focus
- Monthly payment option with no added fees
- Up to 5% rate discount for bundling business policies
Find the right workers compensation insurance for your business
AmVenture: Best customer service
Your business and employees will be well served with a policy from AmVenture if you value customer service. AmVenture’s features include:
- Focus on small- to medium-sized businesses
- Live agent video chat app
- 5 out of 5 star service rating from Consumer Affairs1
Travelers: Most well-known
Other advantages include:
- Biggest property and casualty market share in the United States
- 500-plus in-house nurses and medical professionals
- Pay-as-you-owe options and payroll integration
Zurich: Most established
This Swiss-based international carrier has more than a century of insurance experience. Zurich business insurance includes access to risk management services that help you keep your employees safe and your premiums low.
biBERK: Nationally available
Berkshire Hathaway, biBERK’S parent company, earns an A++ (Superior) rating from AM Best, a business that evaluates insurance companies’ financial strength.2 Small-business owners trust a company this strong to make financially smart decisions when managing risks and claims.
- A++ (Superior) A.M. Best Company financial strength rating
- Availability in all states where private insurers compete
- Loss control, safety training, and fraud identification
Chubb: Best program benefits
Chubb workers comp insurance includes two impressive programs to help your business and your employees: The return-to-work program works to get injured employees back on the job quickly, while the pharmacy benefit management program helps keep drug costs low.
- Special investigations unit for fraud detection
- Medical and pharmacy benefit management program
- Return-to-work program for quick employee recovery
Workers compensation insurance FAQs
Why is it important to compare workers comp insurance?
Ensuring that your employees and your business are protected is incredibly important. So there’s no reason to let your workers compensation insurance become an afterthought. Your business changes over time—like adding more employees or new roles—and your workplace risks may change too.
Changes to your business may lead to rate increases, so you should review your options and make sure you’re getting the right coverage and the right price. Review your account regularly for any changes to your business that might affect the cost and coverage of workers compensation.
Why is workers comp so important for small businesses?
Each year, about 2.8 million nonfatal injuries or illnesses occur in privately owned American workplaces.3 These events affect the lives of millions of families as well as employers. Workers compensation insurance (sometimes called “workman’s comp”) is mandatory in most states. It protects your employees while they’re on the clock, protects your business from legal exposure, and helps to get your employees healthy and back on the job more quickly.
What do I need to know about workers compensation insurance?
You probably know you need workers compensation insurance, but you might be wondering how you can lower your rates and choose the best policies. Here are some things to watch out for:
- Rates tend to be fairly similar across companies; the type of work you do and the size of your payroll are the biggest factors in determining rates.
- Many of the best companies help you manage your risk and offer lower rates for implementing safety and prevention programs.
- Because workers compensation insurance is tied so closely to your payroll, why not integrate the systems? Some carriers partner with payroll companies to save you time and hassle.
- Want to lower your rates fast? Ask your carrier if you can raise your deductibles. You’ll take on more risk but pay less in the short term.
- Look for companies that contract with doctor and hospital provider networks. Managing care this way brings cost savings.
- Are you part of any business associations like manufacturing or builders groups? You might be eligible for special rates or discounts.
Our Approach: How we picked the best
We looked at 30 of the biggest and most promising small-business insurance carriers and spent over 60 hours researching the details of their workers comp policies. The companies that made it to the top of our list had the best combination of coverage options, competitive rates, and full-service features.
The right workers compensation insurance policy will give you—and your employees—peace of mind, ensuring business operations go smoothly and you and your employees get help when you need it.
Looking for more than just workers compensation insurance? Look at our picks for the best general liability insurance companies; you may be able to save money by bundling both types of insurance into one comprehensive package.
At Business.org, our research is meant to offer general product and service recommendations. We don’t guarantee that our suggestions will work best for each individual or business, so consider your unique needs when choosing products and services.
1. Consumer Affairs, “AmVenture”
2. Business Wire, “AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Insurance Company and Its Affiliates”
3. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Employer-Reported Workplace Injuries and Illnesses – 2018”